Friday 7 March 2014

Books, books, books

I’m about to go back onto a long run of nights and I’m loading up my kindle in case it’s a quiet night. I’ve bought The Islands of Chaldea by Diana Wynne Jones which came out a few weeks ago.

It’s the last book Diana wrote before she died and I almost don’t want to read it, knowing it will be the last book of hers I will ever have. Howl’s Moving Castle was one of my favourite books growing up and I love her Chrestomanci series. There weren’t that many YA books when I was in my teens, especially by fantasy authors. The Young Adult reading section was mainly filled with hundreds of Sweet Valley High books.

I was so sad when Diana died, especially as I live just outside of Bristol, but I never got the chance to meet her and tell her how wonderful she was.

I’ve also bought The Paradise by Emile Zola. I’ve just finished watching the first series of The Paradise on dvd. I always like to compare the original book to a tv series and see what was left out and what was changed. The Paradise is based on a department store in the late 1800s and is centred on the transition from independent shops to larger stores with mass produced goods. There’s also a love story woven through it. It’s a very gentle series, with no violence or swearing or explicit sex scenes, which makes a nice change from everything else on tv at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment